Areas of Expertise
CGC is a hub for community building and social innovation. Thanks to a dedicated team, we are capable of a wide range of skills and abilities and it shows in the work we do.
- Community Initaitives: CGC is responsible for a variety of high profile projects in our community from Community Gardens to a Buy Local! Buy Fresh! local food map showcasing farms within the Cowichan Region.
- Education and Workshops: From our annual Wild Food Walks, to Food Preservation Workshops, CGC offers a variety of hands-on workshops that are geared towards improving food security and self-sufficiency.
- Events: From large-scale festivals such as Earth Day, to speakers series such as Seeds for Change, CGC hosts a variety of events throughout the year.
- Policy: Perhaps our best-known policy work to date is represented by the "Cowichan Food Charter" a statement of values and principles to guide a community's food policy, which has been adopted by every municipality and farmer's institute in the Cowichan Region
- Research: CGC has significant capacity to carry out research projects. Our most recent projects include “The Cowichan Food Security Plan” AND The Islands Agri-Food Initiative Project (IAFI) “Local Agri-Funds: Supply and Demand – Narrowing the Gap ‘Snapshot Project’”
- Social Enterprise: CGC supports many of its initiatives through social enterprises like CERES Edible Landscaping and The Garden Pantry Thrift Store.
- Youth engagement: CGC provides volunteer, training, education, and internship opportunities to the youth of our community through a variety of initiatives.
To see what we have been up to lately, check out our blog.